Subject: Re: bug#32921: emacsclient obeys Xresources even when launched with -nw

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 15:52:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> So the difference is between (a) taking notice of the reverseVideo
> resource at startup timer as opposed to (b) at frame creation time, is
> that right?  If so, I think this might affect the use case whereby
> someone changes the X resources after Emacs has already started, or
> something?

Yes, it would change that behaviour...  but I think we'd want that?  If
the user changes reverseVideo, then I think it's natural to expect
subsequent frames to heed that.  (Not that I think that's very
important -- people generally don't do that.)

> Maybe it would be safer to add a special frame-parameter which will
> record the fact that some parameters came from X resources, and will
> then refrain from applying those parameters to TTY frames?  Or maybe
> we should have some other special construct in default-frame-alist
> that prevents some parameters from being applied to TTY frames?
> Because I think reverseVideo is just one example of such parameters.

Yes, a default-frame-parameters-for-window-system (or something like
that) variable might make sense in general.  Then users could specify
these things separately for TTY and GUI.

But are there many parameters like this?  Most of the frame parameters
are ignored on TTY...

>> It might not be redundant on Windows, which presumably doesn't call
>> these X functions, but does heed reverseVideo in the w32 version of
>> window-system-initialization.
>
> Yes, we emulate X resources using the Registry on MS-Windows (although
> I think this is largely unknown and unused).

I see.  I wondered whether this was for using X servers under Windows,
somehow...  (I think that existed a long time ago, at least?)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no