Subject: bug#32896: 27.0.50; wishlist: Delete matching pairs

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 18:29:36 -0500

On Mon 08 Oct 2018 at 17:15, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Fortunately, Emacs already has such a command named ‘delete-pair’:
> it deletes the parens around the let function as in your first
> example as well as the quotes in your second example.  It makes
> sense to bind this command to e.g. ‘C-x M-(’ to be the inverse of
> ‘M-(’ (insert-pair)

Yay! I didn't know about that command (and I really did search before
reporting this bug, no idea how I missed it!). It doesn't work backward
though as far as I can tell:

(let (message "%s" "foobar")|)

M-x delete-pair there does nothing. I was hopeful about
`electric-pair-delete-pair' but it only works if the pair is adjacent.

I guess this is closer to what I wanted:

(defun my/delete-pair ()
  "Call `delete-pair', perhaps also calling `backward-up-list'."
  (interactive)
  (condition-case nil (delete-pair)
    (t (progn (backward-up-list)
              (delete-pair)))))

Anyway, thanks for the response!

Alex