Subject: bug#32866: closed (Re: bug#32866: cross-compiling grep and changing $PATH)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 21:37:03 +0000

Your bug report

#32866: cross-compiling grep and changing $PATH

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32866: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32866
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32866: cross-compiling grep and changing $PATH
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Barret Rhoden <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 14:36:36 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for the patch; that was quick! It's short enough so that we 
needn't worry about copyright papers, so I installed it in your name 
into the master copy of Grep on savannah.gnu.org and am closing this bug 
report.

Subject: cross-compiling grep and changing $PATH
From: Barret Rhoden <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 14:37:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi -

Not sure if this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong, but when I
cross-compile grep (3.1) for another system where the binaries do not
run on the host, the make output will have a couple of these:

/bin/sh: ./src/grep: No such file or directory

It looks like the newly built grep is being used, but it won't run on
the host.  This looks like it is from cfg.mk:

export PATH := $(builddir)/src$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(PATH)

It doesn't seem particularly harmful, but maybe that PATH change should
depend on whether it's a cross build or not.

Thanks,

Barret