Subject: bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 19:35:12 +0100

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 03:12:59PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
> 
> I just compiled Emacs.app 26.1 on my own, and it has exactly the
> same problem. To be more precise, what seems to happen is that the
> first click on a menu title does nothing, and the second one drops
> the menu down. For instance, if you click on the File menu nothing
> happens, but if you then click on the Buffer menu it drops down
> normally. Thus, clicking twice on a menu drops it down. Strangely
> enough, the Emacs menu is an exception, since it works correctly
> (drops down after one click).

Hmm, that doesn’t surprise me a whole lot. IIRC the Emacs menu is
different from the others as it’s not built from elisp, it’s
hard‐coded. I suspect what’s happening is that when you click a menu
the first time it is ‘rebuilt’, and in old versions of macOS it then
opened, however for whatever reason it’s just rebuilding and not
opening in Mojave. The second click doesn’t need to rebuild it because
it’s not ‘changed’, so it just opens.

I’ve no idea why the menus are handled this way. Perhaps it’s normal,
but it seems odd to me. I’d think you’d build the whole menu when it
changed rather than when you try to open them. Perhaps it’s a
performance enhancement.
-- 
Alan Third