Subject: bug#32863: closed (Re: bug#32863: Unsatisfactory "definition" of "vertical scroll position" in Emacs lisp manual and doc string of window-vscroll)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 19:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32863: Unsatisfactory "definition" of "vertical scroll position" in Emacs lisp manual and doc string of window-vscroll

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32863: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32863
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32863: Unsatisfactory "definition" of "vertical scroll position" in Emacs lisp manual and doc string of window-vscroll
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 19:13:54 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 21:47:34 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 18:33:01 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > OK, amended (final?) version:

> LGTM, thanks.

I've committed it, and I'm closing the bug.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: Unsatisfactory "definition" of "vertical scroll position" in Emacs lisp manual and doc string of window-vscroll
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 15:28:32 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Emacs.

In the Emacs-26.1 Emacs Lisp manual, on page "Vertical Scrolling" there
is an ostensible definition for "vertical scroll position".

This "definition" says it "is a number, never less than zero.  It
specifies how far to raise the contents of the window."

What should be doing this raising?  When might it do this?  For what
purpose might the contents of the window be raised?

I find this "definition" totally obscure.  I can not make sense of it at
all.  Without understanding what "vertical scroll position" means, the
entire manual page is meaningless.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I came to this manual page through not understanding the doc string for
the function window-vscroll.  This says just "Return the amount by which
WINDOW is scrolled vertically.".

_Is_ scrolled vertically.  What on earth does that mean?  What is the
zero point from which this scrolling is measured?  Does this "is" refer
to the current visible scrolling, or the intended scrolling after the
next redisplay?

This doc string needs clarification.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).