Subject: bug#32850: 27.0.50; window-swap-states doesn't swap window prev/next-buffers

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 09:44:33 +0200

> The root of the problem is not in window-swap-states, it's in
 > window-state-get that it it relies upon.  For a long time I have
 > been using a package that keeps a list of window-configurations
 > and switches between them in the same frame.  But the problem
 > is that we have no serialization for window-configurations, so
 > no way to save in the desktop file and restore in another session.
 >
 > With the invention of window-state-get I tried to replace all calls
 > of current-window-configuration with window-state-get (and
 > set-window-configuration with window-state-put), and it worked
 > perfectly (saved and restored serialized window-configurations
 > in the desktop file), but still the problem that prevents its use
 > is that it doesn't store prev/next-buffers that is a very important
 > feature.

Please provide a patch that makes the behavior you want optional.

I could try to come up with a patch myself but since you already have
coded such a thing why duplicate the efforts?  IIUC we also have to
decide whether and how to expand your code to desktop saving and how
to handle buffers that got killed in between saving and restoring.

Later we can decide whether to install it as default.

Thanks, martin