Subject: Re: bug#32850: 27.0.50; window-swap-states doesn't swap window prev/next-buffers

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:34:43 +0100

>>> The x-tabs branch is for X-based builds, and the gtk-tabs branch
 >>> that Jan implemented is for GTK-based builds.  Both are for the
 >>> frame-local tab-bars and can't be used for window-local tab-bars.
 >>> Do you know a solution for window-local tab-bars other than
 >>> duplicating header-line in each window to provide shelter for tab-bars?
 >>
 >> Mine uses atomic windows.
 >
 > I thought side windows, no?

Atomic windows.  Side windows are used for the frame-local tab-bar.

 >> But window-local tab-bars are not really useful for displaying window
 >> configurations anyway
 >
 > Yes, they are not useful for window configurations, but
 > window-local tab-bars are extremely useful for displaying
 > the list of prev/next buffers as tabs.  So the user can see
 > the names of all buffers that were displayed in the window,
 > and clicking on the tab will switch to any of previously
 > displayed buffers.  And clicking on [x] will remove the
 > buffer from the list of previous window-local buffers.

That was my idea behind window-local tab-bars back then.  Today I
think that we should instead pop up a menu of previous buffers when
moving the mouse over the mode-line's buffer-name.

 > I agree, mode-lines duplicate the battery charge information
 > in every window.  What do you think about creating the frame-local
 > mode-line using the bottom side window?

By default I would display them (possibly right-adjusted) only in the
mode-line of the bottom-most-right-most window.

martin