Subject: bug#32850: 27.0.50; window-swap-states doesn't swap window prev/next-buffers

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 09:44:31 +0100

>> What you probably want is a facility to clone a window.  I have no
 >> idea how to do that and which semantics to attach to a cloned window.
 >
 > I guess a cloned window implies the same state with a different
 > identity.

A different window object, hence.

 > Now I see the root of this problem: it's because 'delete-other-windows'
 > keeps one window and reuses it for the restored state.

There's no reasonable way to avoid that - each frame needs a live root
window.

 > So a proper fix for 'window-state-put' should use a cloned window
 > like you proposed.

Couldn't we work around this problem some other way?  Pumping up the
window's sequence number, for example?  Adding a function that
replaces the live root window of a frame with a different object is
somewhat ludicrous.

martin