Subject: [bug#32837] [PATCH 0/5] Improvements to the UI with colors

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 11:59:10 +0200

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Internally everything is handled by the (guix status) module.
> This module keeps track of the on-going and completed builds and
> downloads (substitutes and fixed-output derivations.)  To do that
> the build side is modified to print additional machine-readable
> “build traces” (with the new #:print-extended-build-traces? option
> of ‘set-build-options’.)
>
> Old clients talking to the new daemon won’t see the difference
> because build-side code will produce the same output as before.
> New clients talking to an old daemon won’t be able to display
> progress bars and URLs for downloads because the build side
> won’t produce those “extended build traces”; IOW, it should be
> as on current ‘master’.

On IRC, Ricardo noted that the new ‘guix package’ would be very silent
when talking to an old daemon, because it wouldn’t show what gets
substituted.

As per Ricardo’s suggestion, I’ve pushed a fixup commit to ‘wip-ui’ that
(1) bumps the daemon protocol version, and (2) checks whether the
daemon supports “extended build traces.”  If it does not support
extended build traces, then “substituting…” messages are displayed, as
is the case with ‘guix package’ on master.

Let me know what you think!  I’d be happy to go ahead with this variant
soon.  :-)

Ludo’.