Subject: bug#32828: 27.0.50; Docstring of `dbus-init-bus' incorrect

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 22:55:08 +0200

The docstring of `dbus-init-bus' says:

> The function returns a number, which counts the connections this Emacs
> session has established to the BUS under the same unique name

However:

(dbus-init-bus :system)

==> ((:signal :system "org.freedesktop.DBus.Local" "Disconnected") (nil "/org/freedesktop/DBus/Local" dbus-handle-bus-disconnect))

Looking at the definition of `dbus-init-bus', it seems that only a
`prog1' form is missing to make the docstring correct:

  (prog1 (dbus--init-bus ...) (dbus-register-signal ...))

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 55, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.24)
 of 2018-09-24 built on localhost
Repository revision: 36243179695a1711308e1d2f57c9ff847f3ef2d0
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings
 --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only --with-modules --without-pop
 --with-mailutils --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 94826 11576)
 (symbols 48 20213 1)
 (strings 32 28337 2229)
 (string-bytes 1 753520)
 (vectors 16 14333)
 (vector-slots 8 508358 16152)
 (floats 8 47 70)
 (intervals 56 214 0)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado

If you received this communication by mistake, please don’t forward it to
anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information), please
erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let the sender
know it went to the wrong person.  Thanks.