Subject: Re: bug#32825: 27.0.50; Deterministic window management

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 20:10:39 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> > What I don't like so much is that, in effect, we use
> > `display-buffer-in-previous-window', whose behavior is user
> > configurable, but we don't like some if its semantics, so we overwrite
> > them by specifying the previous-window property dynamically generated.
> > This does what we want, but it is not user configurable any more.  If,
> > for example, a user wants to always use a special frame for the
> > debugger, he can't get that.
>
> Why not?  Users can always provide their customizations via
> 'display-buffer-alist'.  Using, for example
>
> (push '("*Backtrace*" (display-buffer-reuse-window
> display-buffer-pop-up-frame) (reusable-frames . t))
>       display-buffer-alist)

What I meant was "always use a special, but always one and the same
frame".  The 'reusable-frame' association in your 'display-buffer-alist'
entry doesn't accomplish that, because when pop-to-buffer is called, the
*Backtrace* buffer is typically not shown anymore at that moment in that
frame.

Michael.