Subject: Re: bug#32825: 27.0.50; Deterministic window management

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 10:09:10 +0100

> What values of window-min-height and window-height would you recommend
 > for the *Backtrace* buffer's window?  Should we set only window-min-height
 > to e.g. 10 lines tall, or also window-height?  I'd like to see how this
 > design applies in practice.

'window-min-height' would have the value you had in mind originally.
'window-height' could be the same but this might be too rigid.  IIUC
'debug' first displays the buffer and only afterwards inserts its
text.  If you can change that, try to use 'fit-window-to-buffer' as
'window-height' value.  Otherwise, 'debug' can always call
'fit-window-to-buffer' separately after it has inserted its text.

But please keep in mind that 'display-buffer' can always split a small
(say ten lines) window that is alone on its frame or when the user has
made a special alist entry for it.  Hence 'debug' cannot rely on the
fact that the window produced by 'display-buffer' indeed has or can
have 'window-min-height' lines.  That guarantee is only provided by
'display-buffer-below-selected' (with my current proposal).

martin