Subject: bug#32825: 27.0.50; Deterministic window management

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 23:33:52 +0200

> (1) Decide whether a specific window can be (re-)used.  Should we
> refute it when the window cannot be enlarged to 'min-height' lines?
> The decision would have to be made via 'window-resizable-p' and its
> IGNORE argument set to the window itself so we can, for example,
> (re-)use a preserved size window showing some other buffer.
>
> (2) Actually resize that window via a 'window-height' entry.  This is
> independent from (1).  Processing a 'window-height' entry is just some
> sort of bonus work 'display-buffer' does for the convenience of the
> user.  It in now way affects the decision which window is chosen.
>
> So please think of any bad consequences of what we decide in (1) like
> not using _any_ window on the selected frame because none of them fits
> the 'min-height' constraint.  Consider a default two windows frame
> where the size of the selected window is preserved.

Maybe simply display the buffer in the below window regardless of its
size?  Because it makes no sense for display-buffer-below-selected to
display the buffer in a window other than below.