Subject: Re: bug#32820: Some CSS not displaying in latest Icecat

From: Mike Gerwitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 00:13:30 -0400

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 23:21:08 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:

[...]

> Christopher Lemmer Webber <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Overall very excited about the new Icecat being available!
>>
>> However, css is not displaying on some sites, and I'm not sure why.
>> Disable all extensions and try the following examples:
>>
>>   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
>>   https://github.com/
>>
>> Both will show up unstyled.

I was about to report the same, for exactly those sites (just upgraded
Icecat about an hour ago).

> Indeed, I see the same problem.  My first guess is that it's related to
> the fact that we aren't (yet) using Servo, Mozilla's new CSS engine.
> Servo requires LLVM/Clang to build, so I disabled it for now, to
> simplify the task of getting IceCat 60 working.
>
> I'll work on enabling Servo in our IceCat package, and see if that fixes
> the problem.

Thanks!

I tried to do more digging to figure out what may be going on, but it's
late and I haven't had any luck.  The error still happens in safe mode,
and it's unrelated to CSP (the CSS does actually load, and is even
visible in the Style Editor, but isn't rendered).  Icecat isn't
providing any errors anywhere, and I didn't find anything useful in
strace output.

So hopefully enabling Servo fixes it!  I'm curious to know why these
pages work but not others.

-- 
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer
GPG: D6E9 B930 028A 6C38 F43B  2388 FEF6 3574 5E6F 6D05
https://mikegerwitz.com