Subject: bug#3282: 23.0.93; (display-supports-face-attributes-p (list :underline t)) returns nil on tty

From: Yoshiaki Kasahara <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:00:51 +0900 (JST)

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

After I updated Emacs from 23.0.91 to 23.0.93, 'underline' face became
bold on tty, instead of underlined.  Still I can make 'underline' face
underlined by customize-face manually after Emacs started.

After some investigation, I noticed that
(display-supports-face-attributes-p (list :underline t)) returns nil
on tty now. Previously it returned t in emacs-23.0.91 on tty. There is
no such problem on X frames.

Actually (display-supports-face-attributes-p (list :weight "bold"))
also returns nil on tty, so something is totally broken for tty.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.0.93/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-freebsd7.1, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
 of 2009-05-07 on elvenbow.cc.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10600000
configured using `configure  '--without-xim''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.eucJP
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=uim
  locale-coding-system: japanese-iso-8bit-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t