Subject: bug#32816: 25.2; M-x eshell crashes Emacs when a window containing a PDF file in pdf-view mode is active

From: Sagar Jha <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 16:05:19 -0400

Whenever I have a buffer opening a pdf file in pdf-view mode as the active
window and I issue a "M-x eshell" command, emacs freezes. I am then forced
to restart Emacs.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21)
 of 2017-09-22, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-050
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --build x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-jYekUr/emacs25-25.2+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX/P

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  window-number-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Applying style hooks...done
Applying style hooks...done
Type C-c C-c to view the image as text.
Applying style hooks...done
Applying style hooks...done
Applying style hooks...done
Wrote /home/sagar/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 246 buffers restored, 1 failed to restore.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
~/coding/multi-run/multi-run hides
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/multi-run-20180922.2313/multi-run
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/texmathp hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-mik hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context-en hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/toolbar-x hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-buf hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-bar hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-info hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/context
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/preview hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context-nl hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/prv-emacs hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-font hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-style hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/plain-tex hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/latex hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/font-latex hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-ispell
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/multi-prompt hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-fold hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-jp hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/bib-cite hides
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-site hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/auctex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/language/thai-word
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.5/let-alist hides
/usr/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/texmathp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/toolbar-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-buf hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-info hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/prv-emacs hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/plain-tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/font-latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-bar hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context-nl hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-fold hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-style hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-font hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-mik hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/multi-prompt hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-jp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/bib-cite hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context-en hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-ispell
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/preview hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mail-utils texmathp conf-mode smartparens-javascript js-mode-expansions
js make-mode sh-script executable cmake-mode smerge-mode flymake
flycheck json map rx css-mode-expansions css-mode smie smartparens-html
html-mode-expansions sgml-mode cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
latexenc pdf-sync pdf-annot pdf-outline pdf-links pdf-history autorevert
filenotify org-element org-indent org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus gnus-util org-docview doc-view subr-x org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-w3m smartparens-org smartparens-text
the-org-mode-expansions org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs vc-git
diff-mode preview prv-emacs tex-buf noutline outline font-latex
latex-mode-expansions latex tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus crm
smartparens-latex tex-mode shell pcomplete aggressive-indent easy-mmode
iy-go-to-char ace-jump-mode clang-format xml smartparens-config
smartparens dash use-package-ensure cl-seq use-package-core multi-run
window-layout browse-kill-ring derived window-number pdf-occur ibuf-ext
ibuffer tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio eieio-core mode-local
find-func cedet dired pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools
compile comint ansi-color cus-edit cus-start cus-load pdf-view
password-cache bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
format-spec image-mode smex my-euphoria cl-macs color-theme wid-edit cl
smartscan desktop frameset winner ring expand-region
text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom lisp-defuns multiple-cursors
mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more thingatpt
mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core advice rect edmacro
kmacro ido finder-inf info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
paren preview-latex tex-site auto-loads time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 867436 33070)
 (symbols 48 60939 0)
 (miscs 40 2918 972)
 (strings 32 166363 17901)
 (string-bytes 1 13974190)
 (vectors 16 55893)
 (vector-slots 8 1380084 57307)
 (floats 8 8513 1370)
 (intervals 56 8799 36)
 (buffers 976 267))

Thanks,
Sagar