Subject: 26.1; M-x eshell freezes Emacs when a window containing a PDF file in pdf-view mode is active

From: Sagar Jha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 16:00:41 -0400

I submitted a similar bug report for Emacs 25.2, but I was asked to try a
later version by Eli Zaretskii. So I installed Emacs 26.1. I have the same
problem.

Please see this screenshot I took to show how I trigger the bug (video on
Box):
https://cornell.box.com/s/miozugx3v3cb47x8d40vc2tzc5gwnrb6

Thanks,
Sagar

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
 of 2018-05-29 built on lcy01-amd64-029
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Recent messages:
Applying style hooks...done
Applying style hooks...done
Type C-c C-c or C-c C-x to view the image as text or hex.
Applying style hooks...done
Applying style hooks...done
Applying style hooks...done
Wrote /home/sagar/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 242 buffers restored, 10 failed to restore.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30) of
2018-05-29

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
 '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --program-suffix=26 --with-modules --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-mailutils --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets
 --with-lcms2 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs26-pCvJBp/emacs26-26.1~1.git07f8f9b=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -no-pie' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
 -no-pie''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  window-number-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-site hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/auctex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/texmathp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/toolbar-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-buf hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-info hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/prv-emacs hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/plain-tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/font-latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-bar hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context-nl hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-fold hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-style hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-font hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-mik hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/multi-prompt hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-jp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/bib-cite hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context-en hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/context hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/tex-ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-ispell
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/preview hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/home/sagar/.emacs.d/elpa/clang-format-20180406.1514/clang-format hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/clang-format-6.0/clang-format
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail make-mode sh-script executable
mhtml-mode smartparens-javascript js-mode-expansions js json map
flyspell ispell css-mode-expansions css-mode smie color eww mm-url
url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr svg browse-url
smartparens-html html-mode-expansions sgml-mode dom org-indent org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m conf-mode latexenc
preview prv-emacs tex-buf font-latex latex-mode-expansions latex
latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake warnings tex-ispell tex-style tex
dbus crm smartparens-latex tex-mode shell doc-view pdf-sync pdf-annot
pdf-outline pdf-links org-element avl-tree generator smartparens-org
the-org-mode-expansions org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs pdf-history smerge-mode autorevert filenotify
vc-git diff-mode cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs elec-pair
aggressive-indent easy-mmode iy-go-to-char ace-jump-mode clang-format
xml smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens dash cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core multi-run window-layout
browse-kill-ring derived window-number pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
cedet dired dired-loaddefs pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu
pdf-tools compile comint ansi-color cus-edit cus-start cus-load pdf-view
bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util format-spec
image-mode smex my-euphoria color-theme wid-edit cl smartscan desktop
frameset winner ring expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom lisp-defuns
multiple-cursors mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more thingatpt
mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core advice rect edmacro
kmacro ido finder-inf tex-site info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib paren time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 947277 46578)
 (symbols 48 65112 2)
 (miscs 40 2892 2831)
 (strings 32 190880 20633)
 (string-bytes 1 14750727)
 (vectors 16 64247)
 (vector-slots 8 1566895 62732)
 (floats 8 8633 405)
 (intervals 56 17369 111)
 (buffers 992 257))