Subject: bug#32801: closed (Re: bug#32801: 26.1; (shell-command-to-string command) discrepancy in GUI vs terminal)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 16:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#32801: [macOS] (shell-command-to-string command) discrepancy in GUI vs terminal

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32801: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32801
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32801: 26.1; (shell-command-to-string command) discrepancy in GUI vs terminal
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Jayesh Bhat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:06:39 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 02:53:25AM +0200, Jayesh Bhat wrote:
>> 3a. Open emacs from Terminal
>>
>> # open -n /Applications/Emacs.app --args -q
>>
>> M-x ielm
>>
>> *** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
>> ELISP> (shell-command-to-string "pwd")
>> " ]7;file://JayeshMacBook.local/Users/jayesh /Users/jayesh\n"
>
> Mine doesn’t do that. Are you using some sort of iCloud sync thing?
> What do you get if you just type pwd in the terminal?
>
> It’s worth noting that the environment is different when you run an
> app from the terminal versus when you run it from the GUI. All sorts
> of things are different.

More information was requested, but none was given within 27 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 26.1; (shell-command-to-string command) discrepancy in GUI vs terminal
From: Jayesh Bhat <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 02:53:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi

1. zsh environment (discrepancy reproduced in bash, ksh)
# echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Library/TeX/texbin:/usr/local/munki:/opt/X11/bin

2. Emacs 26.1 fresh homebrew install on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
# brew install emacs --with-cocoa --with-dbus --with-gnutls
--with-imagemagick@6 --with-librsvg --with-modules --with-mailutils
--with-ctags

M-x report-emacs-bug

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.4.0, NS appkit-1561.20
Version 10.13.3 (Build 17D47)) of 2018-09-21 built on JayeshMacBook.bing.box
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561

Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/26.1_1/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/26.1_1 --with-gnutls --without-x
--with-xml2 --with-dbus --with-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg
--without-pop --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: IELM

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils ielm easymenu pp comint
ansi-color ring elec-pair time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 207399 9881)
(symbols 48 20558 2)
(miscs 40 82 219)
(strings 32 29888 2290)
(string-bytes 1 799134)
(vectors 16 35548)
(vector-slots 8 719289 10274)
(floats 8 49 244)
(intervals 56 234 11)
(buffers 992 13))

3a. Open emacs from Terminal

# open -n /Applications/Emacs.app --args -q

M-x ielm

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (shell-command-to-string "pwd")
" ]7;file://JayeshMacBook.local/Users/jayesh /Users/jayesh\n"

3b. Open /Applications/Emacs.app via double click on GUI icon

- M-x ielm

*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> (shell-command-to-string "pwd")
"/Users/jayesh\n"