Subject: Re: bug#32790: 27.0.50; point jumps unexpectedly after delete-window

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 00:27:23 +0300

>> Sorry, it still fails with (split-window nil nil 'up)  :-(
>
> OK.  'split-window' handles your ups and downs too now ;-)

Thank you!  I hope that now using the same logic we could solve the
long-standing annoyance in Emacs window management.  See for example
such situation: in two horizontally split windows, one window displays
a *grep* buffer (`emacs -Q  C-x 3  M-x grep ... RET').

But what to do if grep results need to be displayed in a new third
window above the *grep* buffer?  `C-x 2  C-x o  RET' will display
the source buffer in the wrong window (with the *scratch* buffer).

Using arrow keys as a prefix will allow to tell Emacs explicitly
where do you want to display the buffer, e.g.

H-up RET will display grep results in the above window after creating it

H-left C-h f will display the *Help* buffer in the left window

H-right C-x v d will display the vc-dir buffer in the right window

H-down C-x C-b will display the buffer list in the bottom window

The possibilities are limitless.