Subject: bug#32790: 27.0.50; point jumps unexpectedly after delete-window

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 02:05:17 +0300

> Make a complete list with the desired names, please.

I think we need exactly the same customization as we created for
compare-windows-get-window-function, but instead of finding a window to
compare, we need to find a window to select after deleting the
selected window.

  (defcustom compare-windows-get-window-function
    'compare-windows-get-recent-window
    "Function that provides the window to compare with."
    :type '(choice
            (function-item :tag "Most recently used window"
                           compare-windows-get-recent-window)
            (function-item :tag "Next window"
                           compare-windows-get-next-window)
            (function :tag "Your function"))
    :group 'compare-windows
    :version "25.1")

I suppose that for the option "Next window" the window next to the
deleted window is its sibling that will get its space after
deletion, right?

>> If the values are 'sibling, 'mru, and possibly a user-defined function,
>> then a suitable name could be say, after-delete-window-select, or if this
>> name looks like a hook name, then simply delete-window-select.
>
> Let's reconsider after you made the list with the value names ("sibling"
> is probably too internal, IIRC even you used "parent" instead).

Regarding the name, what about select-window-after-delete-function?