Subject: bug#32790: 27.0.50; point jumps unexpectedly after delete-window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:23:43 +0200

>> I meanwhile understand that in your case "C-h e" splits the original
 >> window horizontally, i.e. you get 2 windows side by side, not one
 >> above the other.  AFAICT, this was never explicitly mentioned in your
 >> bug report.
 >
 > Sorry, I meant horizontally split windows.

How comes that C-h e splits the window horizontally?

 > Now I understand that it jumps to the most recently selected window,
 > but this logic is not obvious.  Then why not to the most recently
 > displayed window?

The idea to automatically select a window that has never been selected
before is not overly intuitive IMHO.

 > Maybe we should have an option or at least hook
 > to define the preferred behavior.  Like there is the option
 > split-window-keep-point (applicable only to vertically split windows)
 > whose nil value provides more smooth effect (selects the window
 > depending on where point was before split, to avoid window scrolling).

The most recently displayed window might be the window that gets
deleted and so we would have to either modify the semantics of
'window-use-time' (to optionally include the case that the window has
been created without being selected) or add a new slot to the window
structure and have 'delete-window' act accordingly if set.

martin