Subject: Re: bug#32790: 27.0.50; point jumps unexpectedly after delete-window

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 23:57:35 +0300

>> I wonder is it possible to define a simple rule in terms of the
>> window tree, e.g. maybe it is the parent window of the deleted window
>> that should be selected?
>
> A parent window is internal and cannot be selected.  You probably mean
> one of the former siblings of the deleted window.  If we did that, we
> should make it customizable somehow.

Yes, I meant siblings.  Is it possible to make it customizable?
Searching for this, I see others find the current behavior annoying too, e.g.
https://github.com/wasamasa/dotemacs/blob/master/TODO.org#fix-emacs-selection-after-window-quitclose

>> Or it's not guaranteed that the parent
>> window takes the screen space of the deleted subwindow in the same
>> window combination?
>
> When the window to be deleted has only one sibling, then that sibling
> will get the space of the deleted window.  If that sibling is a parent
> window, all its children will get the space proportionally.
>
> Otherwise, when the window do be deleted has a left sibling, that one
> will usualy get the space for historical reasons.  If the window has
> no left sibling, the right one gets the space.  In either case, if
> 'window-combination-resize' is non-nil, all windows in the same
> combination may get the space proportionally.

Does this mean that a simple rule would be just to use the left sibling,
otherwise the right sibling?