Subject: bug#32790: 27.0.50; point jumps unexpectedly after delete-window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:33:15 +0100

>> I'd invert these: The "-display-" infix implies that the buffer is
 >> displayed and not popped to.
 >
 > Then easier just to rename it to windmove-pop-in-direction
 > because most commands use pop-to-buffer, so this should be
 > the default.

That would be much better.

 > But currently I'm more concerned about inability to use switch-to-buffer,
 > i.e. trying to display a buffer in another window with ‘S-M-down C-x b RET’
 > doesn't work.

You mean wherever we can't use 'pop-to-buffer-same-window' instead?
'switch-to-buffer' is different.  Reconciling 'force-same-window' and
'switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window' looks rather painful to me.

 > I tried to temporarily set dedicated-p to an old window,
 > but switch-to-buffer removes its dedicatedness.

What did you try exactly?  Naively spoken, I suppose you would have
bound the dedicated flag of the selected window to 't' to make
sure it can't get used and 'switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window' to
'pop' to avoid a user error.

martin