Subject: bug#32790: 27.0.50; point jumps unexpectedly after delete-window

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:27:33 +0200

> I believe Emacs could try to select the window that takes screen space
 > of the deleted window.

By default Emacs tries to select the most recently used window.  Only
if that fails, it uses the first live window on the frame as fallback.

 > I wonder is it possible to define a simple rule in terms of the
 > window tree, e.g. maybe it is the parent window of the deleted window
 > that should be selected?

A parent window is internal and cannot be selected.  You probably mean
one of the former siblings of the deleted window.  If we did that, we
should make it customizable somehow.

 > Or it's not guaranteed that the parent
 > window takes the screen space of the deleted subwindow in the same
 > window combination?

When the window to be deleted has only one sibling, then that sibling
will get the space of the deleted window.  If that sibling is a parent
window, all its children will get the space proportionally.

Otherwise, when the window do be deleted has a left sibling, that one
will usualy get the space for historical reasons.  If the window has
no left sibling, the right one gets the space.  In either cae, if
'window-combination-resize' is non-nil, all windows in the same
combination may get the space proportionally.

martin