Subject: bug#32789: closed (Re: bug#32789: Bash finds old version of guix after guix pull)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 16:07:03 +0000

Your bug report

#32789: Bash finds old version of guix after guix pull

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
32789: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32789
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#32789: Bash finds old version of guix after guix pull
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:06:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Alex,

> I'll mention here for posterity that restarting the system also "fixes"
> the issue.

Yes, bash will not remember paths across reboots.

> I still don't understand why bash found guix 0.14 after guix pulling
> from guix 0.15 though.

Bash optimizes lookups on the PATH; having found an executable on PATH
once, it can remember that location for a minor speed boost.  The only
problem with this is that the cache can go stale.

>From what I understand remembering locations is usually done manually by
running “hash”.  I don’t know what would trigger this behaviour in your
case.

--
Ricardo

Subject: Bash finds old version of guix after guix pull
From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 16:49:41 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

After installing guixsd (0.15) on a VM and doing "guix pull", "guix --version"
gives 0.14-<stuff>.

I asked about this on IRC a few weeks ago and got a helpful answer. All
I needed to do to fix is was to run a simple bash command.
Unfortunately, I've forgotten what that was :-(

Reporting here since I didn't find anything in the issue tracker when I
looked.

Thanks,
Alex