Subject: bug#3278 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.0.93; doc for frame parameter `minibuffer')

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 04:35:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#3278: 23.0.93; Elisp manual, node Buffer Parameters

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
3278: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3278
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.0.93; doc for frame parameter `minibuffer'
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 00:31:02 -0400

> 2. For `minibuffer', "If the value is a minibuffer window (in some
> other frame), the new frame uses that minibuffer." What "new frame"?
> There is no new frame involved here.
>
> The Elisp manual should say that you cannot change the value of
> parameter `minibuffer' for an existing frame.

I clarified this.

Subject: 23.0.93; Elisp manual, node Buffer Parameters
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 15:29:34 -0700

1. Neither `minibuffer' nor `unsplittable' seem to have much to do
with `Buffer Parameters'. The node organization is not good.
 
2. For `minibuffer', "If the value is a minibuffer window (in some
other frame), the new frame uses that minibuffer." What "new frame"?
There is no new frame involved here. 
 
If the value is a minibuffer window in some other frame, then this
frame does not have its own minibuffer (remember, this is about
"whether this frame has its own minibuffer"). Instead, this frame uses
the minibuffer in that window.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-05-02 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'