Subject: Filenames with spaces in ls

From: Ivan Perez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 15:01:44 -0400

Hi,

In a fresh Ubuntu installation, file names with spaces and strange 
symbols are now quoted.

If find this annoying, non-intuitive and, in principle, wrong (I'll 
explain below).

I initially wrote this email a few weeks ago, and decided not to send it 
without honestly giving it a real try. Since it's been over a month now, 
I've decided to send it.

I understand that this is configurable for ls, but that means, every 
time or every user needs to do this. It is difficult to understand how 
many people are for or against. There's always a couple of people in 
favour of it in the mailing list, and a lot against (but I acknowledge 
that that may not reflect the true proportion).

The new behaviour can be annoying, and can make it harder to process 
information quickly. This may be a matter of preference, but the 
presence of the extra quote and the misalignment that that causes draws 
one's attention to the quote. File names with similar but related names 
no longer appear aligned in ls which, again, draws attention to the 
quote when one is processing long lists of files. It also makes names 
with quotes pretty hard to understand.

I have read about the reasons *for* doing this. While the new behaviour 
helps copy & paste, it's counter intuitive, because the symbol is not 
part of the name (but it could be).

Ultimately, the rationale could be simpler: the quote symbol is *just 
not there in the file name*.

Please, make literal the default for ls (and any other program that may 
be affected by this).

All the best,

Ivan