Subject: Re: bug#32743: 27.0.50; down-list RFC

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 04:18:02 +0200

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

> ‘down-list’ currently returns nil if successful but Scan error:
> "Containing expression ends prematurely" if no further list exist downwards.
>
> Suggest to return position reached if successful and nil if no further
> list exist.

Hm...  I'm not sure that makes sense -- this is down-list:

  (let ((inc (if (> arg 0) 1 -1)))
    (while (/= arg 0)
      (goto-char (or (scan-lists (point) inc -1) (buffer-end arg)))
      (setq arg (- arg inc)))))

It very much looks like a command just meant for interactive use, and if
you want to do something programmatically in this area, you should
probably just use scan-lists directly.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no