Subject: Re: bug#32736: bug#34715: bug#32736: 26; Bind `C-x 5 2' to `clone-frame' by default

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 10:57:24 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > (Which btw means we now need to preload seq.el?)
>> 
>> No, it's autoloaded.
>
> But frame.el is preloaded, so won't that get in the way during
> bootstrap?

It won't get loaded until the user uses the `C-x 5 c' command.

>> > And the faces aren't copied, I think, they reference the same faces
>> > the original frame had.
>> 
>> Right -- I don't really know how the face/frame stuff actually works.
>> If it was a very general problem, then surely we'd stumble across this
>> whenever we make a new frame.  But the bug seems to manifest only on
>> terminal frames -- when we change the background mode.
>
> That's true, but it doesn't mean we don't have a deeper problem.

True.  I'll continue to debug this, but won't have time today, I
think...  If you want to have a look meanwhile, please go ahead.  :-)
It reproduces easily, and the bug seems to be caused by something called
by `frame-set-background-mode', but that may or may not be correct
(perhaps it's just doing something that triggers the real problem caused
somewhere else).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no