Subject: bug#32731: 26.1.50; Ibuffer filter by mode: Handle >1 mode names

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 08:01:24 -0400

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > If you'll pardon another nit, I suggest using "they" instead of "s?he"
>   > which has the advantage of being a pronounceable English word.
>
> Using "they" for a singular antecedent is confusing, and I always find
> it jarring.  I won't make a rule against, but I make a point of never
> using that construction.  "S?he" avoids the confusion because it is
> clearly singular.
>
> I use a different set of gender-neutral singular pronouns, which I
> think fit better into English.  See
> https://stallman.org/articles/genderless-pronouns.html.

I find "s?he" jarring due to its non-wordness and "per" confusing
because it's already a word which means something else (I end up having
to read the sentence from the beginning again to parse it right).  I
expect it's mostly a matter of practice though.