Subject: bug#32722: [O] bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:29:19 +0200

Hello,

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> That may or may not be a problem, depending on what it says.  Can you
> show me what it actually says about those nonfree systems?

All references are related to the appendix about MobileOrg, an
application for viewing and capturing entries from a mobile device.
Relevant parts include references to Apple and Google products in
addition to Dropbox:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
MobileOrg is a companion mobile app that runs on iOS and Android
devices.  MobileOrg enables offline-views and capture support for an
Org mode system that is rooted on a "real" computer.  MobileOrg can
record changes to existing entries.

The [[https://github.com/MobileOrg/][iOS implementation]] for the /iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad/ series of
devices, was started by Richard Moreland and is now in the hands of
Sean Escriva.  Android users should check out [[http://wiki.github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/][MobileOrg Android]] by
Matt Jones.  Though the two implementations are not identical, they
offer similar features.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
MobileOrg needs access to a file directory on a server to interact
with Emacs.  With a public server, consider encrypting the files.
MobileOrg version 1.5 supports encryption for the iPhone.  Org also
requires =openssl= installed on the local computer.  To turn on
encryption, set the same password in MobileOrg and in Emacs.  Set the
password in the variable ~org-mobile-use-encryption~[fn:145].  Note
that even after MobileOrg encrypts the file contents, the file name
remains visible on the file systems of the local computer, the server,
and the mobile device.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
For a server to host files, consider options like [[http://dropbox.com][Dropbox.com]]
account[fn:146].  On first connection, MobileOrg creates a directory
=MobileOrg= on Dropbox.  Pass its location to Emacs through an
initialisation file variable as follows:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")
#+end_src
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Here is the footnote from the last excerpt:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[fn:146] An alternative is to use a WebDAV server.  MobileOrg
documentation has details of WebDAV server configuration.  Additional
help is at this [[https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mobileorg_webdav][FAQ entry]].
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think that is about it.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738