Subject: bug#32722: [O] bug#32722: bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?

From: Robert Klein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 20:53:29 +0200

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 19:53:14 +0300
Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Robert Horn <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii
> > <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],
> > [email-masked] Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 12:37:45 -0400
> > 
> > /* from RMS email later in thread
> > To motivate people to do this, I say we shouild not ship another
> > release with that reference to GitHub.  Eli, do you agree?
> > */
> > 
> > This makes it clearly the reference to Github that is the concern.  
> 
> We have quite a few references to GitHub in Emacs, just grep for it.
> 
> 
> 

That's, what the original message on the bug list refers to, however.

I think the original bug report is bogus.  Especially in view of your
statement above.

As already pointed out by Nicolas Goaziou, org-mode also requires other
external stuff (just as htmlfontify does, see my mail and its manual:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/htmlfontify.html#Requirements).

The reason, e.g. LaTeX isn't mentioned explicitly in the manual or in
org is that it is a well-known software.  The link is only given as a
friendly hint.  

Also, in regards to the original bug report, while htmlize is _hosted_
on github, which indeed is not free, htmlize itself _is_ free.  Right
at the beginning of htmlize.el it says:

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
;; any later version.

When the original poster doesn't want to use htmlize, he probably
should try to export without fontifying source code (I think there's a
switch, but I'm not sure).

Best regards
Robert