Subject: bug#32722: [O] bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:37:15 +0200

Hello,

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is an Org issue, so I would like to hear from Org developers
> before I make up my mind.

I read the thread multiple times already but I do not understand exactly
the issue risen.

>From the OP: "Emacs quotes Github, a non-free platform." If that's the
real problem, we can remove the location of the "htmlize" library from
the error message and be done with it. Note that the Org manual still
talks about iOS and Android, which are not free either.

>From Richard Stallman: "Emacs should not advise people to load anything
from outside Emacs". Org Export already advises people to load LaTeX
libraries, MathJax, optionally minted, etc. Org Babel requires external
libraries like "asy-mode.el" (ob-asymptote.el), "simple-httpd"
(ob-js.el)... This is a non-issue for us, because it is inherent to Org
and thus cannot be solved by Org.

>From Glenn Morris: "Emacs already includes htmlfontify, since 23.2. Is
there some obstacle to Org using that?" This is begging for a specific
solution to a not-so-well defined problem. In any case, Kaushal Modi
answered this one. It is nice if this happens, but could we first define
correctly the problem so we can tell if this is the only possible
solution for it?

>From Richard Stallman: "To motivate people to do this, I say we should
not ship another release with that reference to GitHub." The issue
pointed out here seems to be that Org developers or enthusiasts are not
motivated enough to make Org use htmlfontify instead of htmlize. Note
this is very different from the initial report. Richard Stallman then
suggests a possible fix for that issue. It may or may not work; after
all these years spent in education, "motivating people" is a topic that
mostly eludes me. Anyway, since this point contains both the question
and the answer, I don't know what Org could do about it.

This is a genuine question: what /exactly/ do you want Org developers to
solve, assuming they can? Also, if they cannot, who is willing to give
them a hand?

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738