Subject: bug#32722: [O] bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?

From: Nicolas Floquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 11:54:12 +0200

Hello,

Le mardi 18 septembre 2018 à 12:37 -0400, Robert Horn a écrit :
> Perhaps you could clarify the ethical issues.

I apologise: 
   1. first, to have sent you a badly edited bug report,
   2. second, the late sending of this clarification email.

This can be explained by

* My own difficulty to use the English language (on this point, I have
asked a translator friend of mine to translate my words. What you are
now reading is the fruit of her work)

* The difficulty to convey the issue arisen by GitHub (as a proprietary
tool) in the Free Software movement. (This issue has already been
brought up for instance in 2010 by B Mako Hill: 
https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html here translated in French 

https://framablog.org/2010/09/08/logiciels-libres-mais-outils-non-libres/
 ).

GitHub, as a platform based on proprietary software is a trap for the
developers who use it, particularly because they get into work habits
that tie them to one only service provider on the Internet, which is
contrary to the very principle of Internet, centre-less network. Yet
getting the Internet recentralised would have harmful consequences as
much ethically as technically.

Therefore, in explaining to its own users to seek some coding on
GitHub, or any other non-ethical platform, Emacs "prescribes" the
following message to its users: "GitHub? Meh... just some non-open
JavaScript" … Download on GitHub, code on GitHub! No, don't fuss over
it! Incidentally, programmers of free alternatives to GitHub are cool
but their work is not very important."

Last one more word about those worried by the loss of visibility of
their work by having to leave GitHub. May they know that several
software forge projects from now on are getting interested in the
ActivityPub protocol, which will allow the launching of connected
forges into a federation.

Thank you for having read on.

-- 
| Numérion                  |              Nicolas Floquet |
+----------------------------------------------------------+
| Services informatiques en logiciels libres               |
| XMPP : [email-masked] | Tél : 06.32.93.03.51            |
| Ğ1 : BjZFP7UpKjJ9hbavhT2Ep2hP58noXp6xdPY4awsX17yD        |
| PGP : 94C7 641B 719E B06A F406  7AB3 3709 C700 E548 F996 | 
+----------------------------------------------------------+