Subject: Re: [O] bug#32722: bug#32722: 26.1; Org-publish depend on non-free platform ?

From: Bingo UV <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 18:29:29 +0530

Hi RMS, Nicolas
   The concrete software MobileOrg on Android is somewhat of an orphan.
   It may not revive as itself. But there is also a protocol mobileorg,
   which the manual alludes to, though does not document directly. That
   protocol is very much an enabler of software freedom, and it is
   important for the next MobileOrg to be written. I hope it survives
   these questions.

The protocol can be used to sync 2 sets of org-mode files between 2
emacs instances - without needing the iOS or Android versions of
MobileOrg. When fancypants sync systems like dropbox, git, syncthing,
rsync etc. are not available, the mobileorg protocol can be used to
transfer changes from one place to another.

As for the questions :

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 21:50:26 -0400
Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> What is the source license of Mobile.org?

GPLv3
(https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/blob/master/LICENSE.txt)

Is it listed in f-droid.org?

It used to be, it has been kicked out of f-droid due to violating
policies : including dubious jars. Dropbox API that it was using was
surely non-free.

>   > [fn:146] An alternative is to use a WebDAV server.  MobileOrg
>   > documentation has details of WebDAV server configuration.
>   > Additional help is at this
>   > [[https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mobileorg_webdav][FAQ
>   > entry]].  
> 
> Is this a way to use MobileOrg without Dropbox?
> 
> Is the WebDAV server code free software?  Can you talk to such a
> server without any nonfree client software?

There are 2 other ways to use Android MobileOrg not included in the
worg page:
1. SSH
2. Local filesystem

Also, since one can write one's own WebDAV server using specs, it
doesn't matter if some particular WebDAV servers are free or not.

thanks