Subject: Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:41:44 -0400

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> I just used M-x report-emacs-bug so I don't know why it was misdirected.

The report was fine, it was the followups (it happened again with your
previous message). Can you edit the addresses manually if you reply
again? I think there was some temporary glitch with the initial
routing of this report that has probably caused these issues:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-05/msg01605.html

(probably this should not explicitly be going to
[email-masked], but we've started now)

> bash> echo "ELCFILES = \\\\\\"   ->    ELCFILES = \\\
> zsh> echo "ELCFILES = \\\\\\"   ->    ELCFILES = \\
>
> GM> The following ought to work for everyone. Blech.
>
> GM> (Yes, I know I should be using printf rather than echo, but it isn't
> GM> used anywhere else in the Emacs Makefiles, so I don't know if I'm
> GM> allowed to.)
>
> Maybe /bin/echo would be better?

Yes, except I don't know if "/bin/echo" is always "/bin/echo" on all
the wacky systems Emacs supports. "printf" would be better still. But
since no-one can define exactly what "portable" means for the Emacs
build process, I try to only add constructs already used.

> Anyhow, it's fixed, thanks a lot for looking at it.

Huh? You're saying that your problem, which happened in bootstrapping
a fresh checkout, has been fixed by a change to the update-elclist
rule that only runs _after_ bootstrapping? AFAICS, that's impossible,
but never mind...