Subject: Re: bug#3269: 23.0.93; C-mode text highlighting

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 21:30:30 +0000

Hi, Stefan!

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 03:53:42PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > OK, here is a patch for half of the problem - it now fontifies a broken
> > string in a #define properly

> For some definition of "properly".

The opening string quote (?\" or ?\') gets f-l-warning-face.  The rest of
the unclosed string (up to the first EOL which isn't escaped) gets
f-l-string-face.

Actually, that's not _quite_ "proper".  A string with an even number of
backslashes at an EOL is broken at that point, but the font locking
doesn't show this (yet).  I don't suppose that will bother you all that
much.  ;-)

> > The second half of the problem is to fix it so that you don't have to
> > type M-o M-o afterwards.  Any change you'll let me do this before
> > this week's pretest, Yidong?

> I think this part is more important.  I don't care much (if at all)
> about how invalid code is highlighted.

I agree it's important.  I've got it working; what's more, the code
doesn't advise any of the font lock functions for (>= emacs-major-version
22).  I'll commit it tomorrow sometime.

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).