Subject: bug#32676: Feature request

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 02:27:23 +0300

>> Do I understand correctly that your proposed feature is like
>> next-error-highlight,
>> but instead of highlighting the error locus, it highlights the error
>> message?
>
> Yes, although I don't think it's important to support a timer to turn off
> highlighting like next-error-highlight does since the error locus
> highlighting might get in the user's way in source buffers, but not in the
> next-error buffer.

I agree that a timer is not necessary in next-error-last-buffer.
I just wanted to emphasize that your new customization could be like
next-error-highlight defcustom (but without a timer option).

> I don't see a reference to compilation-highlight-regexp or
> compilation-highlight-overlay in my patch or in this thread. Although I did
> use compilation-current-error to find the mark at the error message
> location, which I think is not appropriate since that would be
> compilation-specific, and I think it should be (point) instead. Is this
> what you mean?

I guess you need to highlight exactly the same place from where
the error was visited.  It looks like (point) is always located
at this place because compilation-next-error-function sets
overlay-arrow-position to (point-marker), so it should be the
right place to highlight indeed.