Subject: bug#32668: 26.1; Give find-dired prefix argument behaviour equivalent to that of rgrep

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 21:34:08 +1200

In bug#27456 "Not possible to use -prune with find-dired", workarounds
were provided for the issue that, due to the way that `find-dired'
constructs its find command, some common usage patterns for the `find'
command can't be used with `find-dired'.

I think it would be useful and consistent for `find-dired' to acquire
the prefix argument behaviour of `rgrep', which does the following:

> With C-u prefix, you can edit the constructed shell command line
> before it is executed.
> With two C-u prefixes, directly edit and run [the find command].

Giving the user access to edit the final command before it is executed
would allow users to massage otherwise-unusable syntax into a working
command.

This would give users an alternative solution to the kind of problem
presented in the aforementioned bug report, and would be especially
useful for those who are unfamiliar with the particular find options
needed to work around the problem at present.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars)
 of 2018-06-19 built on shodan
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/26.1/usr/local
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 THREADS
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dired-x easymenu paren mb-depth winner
ring hl-line dired dired-loaddefs advice elec-pair time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 101384 15323)
 (symbols 48 20776 1)
 (miscs 40 108 168)
 (strings 32 30269 886)
 (string-bytes 1 789963)
 (vectors 16 15400)
 (vector-slots 8 503524 6466)
 (floats 8 58 59)
 (intervals 56 268 0)
 (buffers 992 13))