Subject: bug#32659: SES cursor control

From: Bill Daly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 12:15:34 -0400

SES cusor control is not working.  When viewing a spreadsheet the cursor
movement keys should move from cell to cell.

The up and down keys seem to work but the left to right keys move the
cursor character by character.

I recently upgraded to:
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

This behavior surfaced after the upgrade. Emacs version installed by ubuntu:

/usr/bin/emacs --version
GNU Emacs 25.2.2
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of GNU Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

I downloaded the source code for 26.1, compiled and installed to
/usr/local. SES coninued to misbehave.

I Downloaded 25.3; compiled and executed emacs from the src
directory. SES still not right.

I went to my laptop, (Ubuntu 16.04 codename xenial) and noted first the
SES works and second emacs version 24.5.1.

Back at my desktop, I downloads 24.5; the compilation failed and I gave
up.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
  of 2018-09-06 built on verdun
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Recent messages:
Loading em-hist...done
Loading em-ls...done
Loading em-prompt...done
Loading em-script...done
Loading em-term...done
Loading em-unix...done
Composing main Info directory...done
Quit [2 times]
<C-menu> is undefined
Mark saved where search started

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/dalyw/lisp/dom hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/dom
/home/dalyw/lisp/ses hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/ses
/home/dalyw/lisp/shr hides /usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/net/shr
/home/dalyw/lisp/unsafep hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/unsafep

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils misearch multi-isearch jka-compr em-unix em-term term
disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups
eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util elec-pair muse-wld-html muse-docbook
muse-html muse-xml-common cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish
muse-project muse-protocols info muse-regexps wid-edit derived muse
muse-nested-tags muse-mode sgml-mode psgml finder-inf muse-autoloads
package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 155644 6832)
  (symbols 48 26146 2)
  (miscs 40 76 217)
  (strings 32 45992 1066)
  (string-bytes 1 1295247)
  (vectors 16 22211)
  (vector-slots 8 578157 8440)
  (floats 8 67 85)
  (intervals 56 352 276)
  (buffers 992 13))