Subject: Re: bug#32658: gnutls + non-blocking url-retrieve

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 14:25:02 -0400

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 16:54, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> okay, thats an easy one to explain.
> I did download emacs 26.1 from here:
> http://mirror.netcologne.de/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-26/emacs-26.1-x86_64.zip
>
> in the bin directory there is the gnutls packaged. version is 3.6.0.

> *** Fatal error: Error in the push function.
> Could not connect to 45.33.94.129:443: Bad file descriptor
>
> This doesn't work, because of some error -53 (ERROR_BAD_NETPATH).

For the record, I tried with the same Emacs (albeit from my local
mirror), and I get the same error with gnutls-cli, but M-x eww works
fine.

> > Or maybe this is specific to your network connection?  Does any HTTPS
> > connection cause these problems?
>
> no, only some I think.

I think it could be interesting to characterize the difference (e.g.,
is it always with certain servers?)

> what springs into the eye is the difference of number of re-tries that
> are necessary to establish an TLS connection 4905 vs. 3.
>
> Why does url-retrieve give up after 3 re-tries?

When I try with eww here, I see

gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily
unavailable, try again. [6 times]

(and it does open the page successfully, as I said above)