Subject: bug#32609: 26.1; mail-strip-quoted-names:205

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 07:50:33 -0400

tags 32609 + moreinfo
quit

Johannes Bruegmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> I   tried  to   reply  to   an  email   by  pressing   r,  R,   and  M-x
> gnus-article-reply-with-original.   None  of  them  worked.   Minibuffer
> displayed  "Mark  Set" but  nothing  happened.  I enabled  Debugging  on
> C-g. The *Backtrace*-buffer showed
>      string-match("\\`[ \t\n]*" "")
>      mail-strip-quoted-names("")
>      mail-dont-reply-to("[email-masked]")

If I evaluate (mail-dont-reply-to "[email-masked]") it doesn't hang.  I
guess "[email-masked]" is a placeholder, but you've dropped the relevant
special characters that cause the problem.  Can you give a value that
reproduces the hang?  E.g., just change all letters in the real email to
x, but leave other characters untouched.

> To me it  looked like that the signature for  string-match and match-end
> changed   (or   have   been   overloaded?).  Anyway,   when   i   change

Not sure what you mean about signature change.

> mail-utils.el:205 into
>      ;; strip surrounding whitespace
>      (setq address (substring address
>                               (string-match "\\`[ \t\n]*" address)
>                               (string-match "[ \t\n]*\\'" address
>                               (match-end 0))))
>
> things work for me.

I don't think this change is correct, it doesn't remove the leading whitespace
like before.