Subject: bug#32609: 26.1; mail-strip-quoted-names:205

From: Johannes Bruegmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 23:15:26 +0200

I   tried  to   reply  to   an  email   by  pressing   r,  R,   and  M-x
gnus-article-reply-with-original.   None  of  them  worked.   Minibuffer
displayed  "Mark  Set" but  nothing  happened.  I enabled  Debugging  on
C-g. The *Backtrace*-buffer showed
     string-match("\\`[ \t\n]*" "")
     mail-strip-quoted-names("")
     mail-dont-reply-to("[email-masked]")

To me it  looked like that the signature for  string-match and match-end
changed   (or   have   been   overloaded?).  Anyway,   when   i   change
mail-utils.el:205 into
     ;; strip surrounding whitespace
     (setq address (substring address
                              (string-match "\\`[ \t\n]*" address)
                              (string-match "[ \t\n]*\\'" address
                              (match-end 0))))

things work for me.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-30 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 07f8f9bc5a51f5aa94eb099f3e15fbe0c20ea1ea
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Recent messages:
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit [3 times]
Making completion list...
Quit
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Quit
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
user-error: No cross-reference here
Configured using:
 'configure           --without-dbus           --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM  JPEG  TIFF GIF  PNG  RSVG  SOUND  NOTIFY  ACL GNUTLS  LIBXML2  ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  debbugs-browse-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/johan/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20180731.1830/markdown-mode hides ~/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-2.0/markdown-mode
c:/Users/johan/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20180731.1830/markdown-mode-pkg hides ~/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-2.0/markdown-mode-pkg
c:/Users/johan/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20180731.1830/markdown-mode-autoloads hides ~/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-2.0/markdown-mode-autoloads

Features:
(shadow  pulse emacsbug  diff-mode  org-rmail  org-mhe org-irc  org-info
org-gnus org-docview  org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m  nndoc gnus-dup
debbugs-browse org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces  org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob  ob-tangle org-src  ob-ref ob-lob  ob-table ob-keys  ob-exp ob-comint
ob-core  ob-eval  org-compat  org-macs  org-loaddefs  cal-menu  calendar
cal-loaddefs  debbugs-gnu add-log  debbugs soap-client  warnings rng-xsd
rng-dt rng-util  xsd-regexp xml  autoload tar-mode pp  cus-edit misearch
multi-isearch   mm-archive  url-http   url-gw  url-cache   url-auth  url
url-proxy  url-privacy  url-expand  url-methods  url-history  url-cookie
url-domsuf  url-util   browse-url  finder  lisp-mnt   rfc2104  mailalias
eieio-opt speedbar  sb-image ezimage dframe help-fns  radix-tree apropos
bbdb-message  nnir smiley  mail-extr  gnus-async  gnus-bcklg qp  gnus-ml
cursor-sensor utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnmaildir network-stream nsm gnus-agent
gnus-srvr   nnvirtual   nntp   gnus-cache   smooth-scrolling   elec-pair
fsharp-mode  fsharp-mode-indent-smie   smie  inf-fsharp-mode  fsharp-doc
flycheck-fsharp   fsharp-mode-completion  fsharp-mode-util   etags  xref
project  merlin-company  company  s  tramp  tramp-compat  tramp-loaddefs
trampver     ucs-normalize    shell     pcomplete    flycheck-clangcheck
flycheck-cstyle   flycheck-ocaml  pcase   merlin-cap  merlin   let-alist
flycheck cl-extra  json map  find-func help-mode subr-x  dash finder-inf
info advice  package url-handlers time cus-start  cus-load markdown-mode
color url-parse url-vars thingatpt  noutline outline easy-mmode diatheke
smtpmail  auth-source  cl-seq  eieio eieio-core  cl-macs  eieio-loaddefs
sendmail starttls  moy-bbdb bbdb-gnus  bbdb-mua bbdb-pgp  spam spam-stat
bbdb-com crm  bbdb bbdb-site gnus-uu yenc  gnus-msg gnus-cite gnus-score
score-mode gnus-art  mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime  smime dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7  netrc nnoo gnus-spec  gnus-int gnus-range message  rmc puny
seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile  cconv format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache  epa  epg   epg-config  mailabbrev  gmm-utils  mailheader
gnus-win  gnus   nnheader  gnus-util  rmail   rmail-loaddefs  mail-utils
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode w3m  parse-time mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util  ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailcap doc-view  jka-compr dired
dired-loaddefs image-mode timezone  w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util color-theme wid-edit
cl  gv   smooth-scroll  maude-mode  rx  imenu   derived  compile  comint
ansi-color ring csv-mode sort x-dict easymenu edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs
cl-lib time-date  mule-util tooltip  eldoc electric  uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel  dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win
w32-win w32-vars  term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset  image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace  newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode  register  page  menu-bar  rfn-eshadow  isearch  timer  select
scroll-bar   mouse   jit-lock   font-lock  syntax   facemenu   font-core
term/tty-colors  frame  cl-generic  cham georgian  utf-8-lang  misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan  thai tai-viet  lao korean japanese  eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew  greek romanian  slovak czech  european ethiopic  indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript  charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help  simple abbrev  obarray  minibuffer  cl-preloaded nadvice  loaddefs
button faces  cus-face macroexp  files text-properties overlay  sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1886794 307219)
 (symbols 56 53561 47)
 (miscs 48 633 853)
 (strings 32 291067 74051)
 (string-bytes 1 7355798)
 (vectors 16 103222)
 (vector-slots 8 2268205 69940)
 (floats 8 3332 1317)
 (intervals 56 185927 1424)
 (buffers 992 57))