Subject: bug#32607: 27.0.50; pop-to-buffer in next-error-no-select

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 09:28:35 +0200

> The special case is in next-error-no-select.  Its purpose is to display
 > the next-error buffer (the buffer with the location of the next-error),
 > not to display next-error-last-buffer (the buffer with the list of errors)
 > because next-error-last-buffer is already displayed.  The user runs
 > next-error-no-select from the selected window that already displays
 > next-error-last-buffer, there is no need to try and display the same
 > buffer again.  This behavior is not even documented.  So pop-to-buffer
 > is useless here.  But I suspect that maybe it was added for some use cases
 > to ensure that next-error-last-buffer is displayed.  So at least
 > we need to make it harmless.  But currently it makes harm with the
 > reported configuration.  I provided a patch to fix next-error-no-select
 > to not fail with the legitimate user configuration.

I suppose the idea is to implicitly emphasize the "-no-select" postfix
by showing 'next-error-buffer' somewhere and simultaneously selecting
a window showing 'next-error-last-buffer'.  That's a rather unpleasant
hack, your analysis is correct and 'display-buffer-overriding-action'
is a valid remedy here (it's at least as good as

   (unless (get-buffer-window next-error-last-buffer)
     (pop-to-buffer next-error-last-buffer))

IMHO) so install it.

martin