Subject: bug#32599: 25.2; Feature request: input PUA characters by name

From: [email-masked] (Janusz S. Bień)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:31:32 +0100

On Thu, Dec 31 2020 at 11:06 +02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

[...]

> OK, it wasn't clear that you want to add MUFI codepoints.
>
> However, if that is the intent, I think we should first discuss
> whether we want to add PUA codepoints defined by the different
> initiatives, and if so, which ones.  MUFI is not the only such
> collections, there are others.

Correct, e.g. the character set of JuniusX font which uses plane 15
(https://github.com/psb1558/Junicode-New/discussions/44)

> We could instead wait until these codepoints are incorporated into the
> Unicode Standard (as already happened with some MUFI codepoints).

Some of them will never be accepted by Unicode because they violate
their principle.

> Or we might decide that we want to add some infrastructure which could
> be used by users to add support for ranges of PUA without adding that
> by default.

That's what I have in mind from the very beginning.

> IOW, I think this kind of changes should be discussed first, and the
> place to discuss them is not here, it's on emacs-devel.

Before starting the discussion on emacs-devel I would like to have a
proof-of-concept and also a quick solution for my own use.

Regards - Janusz

-- 
             ,   
Janusz S. Bien
emeryt (emeritus)
https://sites.google.com/view/jsbien