Subject: bug#32599: 25.2; Feature request: input PUA characters by name

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:49:25 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:33:37 +0200, Janusz S. Bień <[email-masked]> said:

    Janusz> On Tue, Apr 26 2022 at 15:45 +02, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
    >> Janusz S. Bień <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> 
    >>>> (unless ucs-names
    >>>> (ucs-names))
    >>>> (setf (gethash "LATIN ABBREVIATION SIGN SMALL DE" ucs-names) #xF159)
    >>> 
    >>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p nil)
    >>> puthash("LATIN ABBREVIATION SIGN SMALL DE" 61785 nil)
    >> 
    >> Did you eval the `unless' form first?

    Janusz> I thought I did but I used the wrong command :-(

    Janusz> Thank you very much for your solution.

    Janusz> So yes, my original problem is solved and you can close the bug report.

    Janusz> This is however not the end of the story. I would like describe-char to
    Janusz> produce the correct name of the PUA character instead of "the
    Janusz> character’s canonical name and other properties defined by the Unicode
    Janusz> Data Base;". I understand this should posted as a separate feature
    Janusz> request.

(put-char-code-property #xf159 'name "LATIN ABBREVIATION SIGN SMALL DE")

(PUA characters donʼt have canonical names).

Robert
--