Subject: Re: bug#32591: 26.1; Ido-find-file does not intuitiely support tramp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 16:27:02 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> So the greyed-out parts here seem to say that we're going to get
> ~/.emacs on the remote host...  and hitting RET does indeed give me
> that.
>
> To get the ~/.emacs on the local machine, I have to delete everything in
> the minibuffer and type ~/.emacs.

No. Three slashes grey out everything.

> I've been tripped up by this before, because I'm so used to just typing
> `C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET' without even looking (to get to my local .emacs
> file).  But I think the current behaviour is the intended one, really --
> it's consistent, powerful and makes sense.

My memory muscle starts *always* to type three slashes, before I type a
local file name. When your muscle is trained, it is easy to type
`C-x C-f ///~/.emacs RET', even w/o thinking about. Whether you use ido,
or not.

Best regards, Michael.