Subject: Re: bug#32583: Cuirass: some builds are marked as failed, but they were never built

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 01:35:05 +0200

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> writes:

> Reported by Ludovic on IRC.
>
> Some builds are marked as failed, but they were never built.  Plus,
> starttime and stoptime don't make sense.
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> <civodul> snape: i just noticed something fishy:
> 	  https://berlin.guixsd.org/build/467599 is marked as failed
> 								        [11:24]
> <civodul> however,
> 	  /gnu/store/nr0w89qymmnfbcb9vw9q86p0a4v1h6w2-libsvgtiny-0.1.7.drv has
> 	  never been built
> <civodul> so it's not even a dependency-failed situation
> <civodul> i wonder if this could be a regression in Cuirass
> <civodul> it has "starttime":0,"stoptime":1535613271  [11:25]
> <civodul> which normally cannot happen (starttime shouldn't be 0 i stoptime is
> 	  not 0)
> <snape> civodul: indeed it's weird  [11:27]
> <snape> civodul: how do you know
> 	/gnu/store/nr0w89qymmnfbcb9vw9q86p0a4v1h6w2-libsvgtiny-0.1.7.drv has
> 	never been built?  [11:28]
> <snape> well, I guess because there is no log  [11:32]
> <civodul> snape: yes and i ssh'd into berlin
> <snape> civodul: it builds if you spawn it manually?  [11:37]
> <civodul> snape: i didn't let it run to completion because i wanted us to be
> 	  able to debug it  [11:39]
> <civodul> but most likely it does  [11:40]
> <civodul> (i tested with
> 	  /gnu/store/wgk46pv09m1y8b7iq5fbkhay5hs6hnmr-libcss-0.8.0.drv, which
> 	  was another build marked as failed)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Clément

This is from the logs:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
2018-08-30T09:14:31 batch of builds (partially) failed:build of
`/gnu/store/06yy5cl59baa6iczvcrl7gzbs82x5j30-cleanup.drv',
`/gnu/store/0ilx18r8s4rw00kxynn6nida1grggx46-separate-store-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/0n887pl0igppd7mr1hh2zrc889sfbh5h-dovecot-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/0qad25im46dnqwfcd63k2lljgd7h9gy2-dicod.drv',
`/gnu/store/0y5yb81mx5m98ddmbvhivhyszd5mh1bi-encrypted-root-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/1af46bw6km0qd6mvm63xsx10f0ipyy2x-nfs.drv',
`/gnu/store/1b28w2c9bgsjnypmnwyl5bnq7yc8k3pv-btrfs-root-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/1vv5wp52l1wbfg45b0a44fs9icx31m8f-encrypted-root-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/2149hi6f7gccn5x8cbgdx8w7sgadp1h0-basic.drv',
`/gnu/store/21i0ylg5p3q1s6qg395vyr55n64hkbil-separate-home-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/228h2p10ysd7n4cw3fwg1n7aj0k4xmrr-raid-root-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/2a4gsnndyslw7cwg9rjc5yhqhkpfag6w-libparserutils-0.2.4.drv',
`/gnu/store/2i8xq16s6bcwnxfpn7l6yq9jyip3ayxc-installed-extlinux-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/2lp48f2jdjampri0g9137qcz6ra4v5n3-mongodb-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/2zvk8ml5ankw0mbq6m693p4a9ppx7x83-exim-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/3dzssjfjzy5nngfm0cbg747lw2sddfvv-mcron.drv',
`/gnu/store/43pdwcgm49vs4grfzkw1n4mg7hhc0ih5-libvirt-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/4li2cm5igrcrkis8b4ilipf9823zy2h1-iso-image-installer.drv',
`/gnu/store/4w8hbibw77vxr5iwf1avgf0y95l4fwwd-libsvgtiny-0.1.7.drv',
`/gnu/store/56cz6yfy5s8w95kqxhgrry4iymx9zdbq-hubbub-0.3.5.drv',
  [...]
`/gnu/store/w83xmggaj5qxzfafnv1pyhff24s2c40m-installed-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/wgk46pv09m1y8b7iq5fbkhay5hs6hnmr-libcss-0.8.0.drv',
`/gnu/store/wqpy6m5kf4wmnjhdqqwfyyx6n0nis06s-libdom-0.3.3.drv',
`/gnu/store/x2k166lqcmwad0mli8qsrql9a4vsrq45-installed-extlinux-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/x6v7bdvcvfbny1kdgsq6jilbszrfksbc-libcss-0.8.0.drv',
`/gnu/store/xg4dzxz54qpf678syvf4379vbps1wqhs-tailon-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/y08j1qivdlam0kp1w636f4lycnmm866v-disk-image.drv',
`/gnu/store/ya89cfswkgv7m3az3rzmbggy433lg288-libvirt-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/ya9q9x208fif1ci4pbsfm7vyk39znzmh-memcached-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/yhc1liighrcsgl1smpwrdahy3xrj4zd6-libnsutils-0.0.5.drv',
`/gnu/store/ykhlibxssbg42r2cfyzm65gkkjyqky7h-opensmtpd-test.drv',
`/gnu/store/yxv7ny3v4ng41rvhd0r245lnr4nwwch4-raid-root-os.drv',
`/gnu/store/zdakqvwx1na7p8c8ivacz4wlcm6pbdh6-dicod.drv'
failed (status: 100)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So it seems that the daemon tried to build them, but they all failed.
Probably at that point the log file weren't created.

I don't really understand why you were able to build
/gnu/store/wgk46pv09m1y8b7iq5fbkhay5hs6hnmr-libcss-0.8.0.drv manually
then.

'starttime == 0 && stoptime != 0' is explained by the fact the exception
(from 'build-derivations&'?) was thrown before 'handle-build-event' was
called (which should have set starttime), and later on
'(update-build-statuses! store batch)' was called, which only sets
stoptime (because the output is invalid).

Any idea?

Clément