Subject: Re: bug#32581: 24.4; make recover-file a prompt instead of a warning

From: Glenn Linderman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:48:26 -0700

On 7/12/2019 7:42 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Glenn Linderman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I have emacs open a certain large file at boot-time startup, because
>> the Python mode takes so long to parse it. So I guess I forgot to save
>> last night, did a windows shutdown, and this morning my work wasn't
>> there... but while emacs probably gave the warning, it was probably
>> wiped out by the next warning from the Python mode, and I don't sit
>> there and watch my computer boot up.  So by the time I noticed stuff
>> from last night was missing, the recover file had been rewritten with
>> the new edits.
> If I understand you correctly (and I may not), you're saying that when
> you open a Python file that has an auto-saved file, then Emacs says that
> an auto-saved file exists...  and then Python mode issues a message that
> overwrites that message?
>
> What is that Python-mode message?
>

I think you understood correctly.  I'm not sure what version of which 
Python-mode I have, but could probably figure it out somehow (I love 
emacs, because it has extensions, but I'm not real good at writing or 
understanding elisp: I use other people's extensions, mostly, and a bit 
of cut-n-paste programming for a few more customizations).

Probably the following message, that I get every time I open the file.

"Warning: no abbrev-file found, customize `abbrev-file-name' in order to 
make mode-specific abbrevs work."

And I find the following line in my .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'load-path "d:/my/py/emacs/python-mode.el-6.1.1")