Subject: bug#32580: Setting variables %load-should-autocompile and GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE in ~/.guile doesn't prevent compiling

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 14:59:15 -0400

Hello Seamus,

seamus phenetols <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello MC,
>
>> My guess is that setting GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE dynamically in your ~/.guile
>> is too late; the Guile process would have already been fire-up without
>> it set early enough to take effect (just a guess).
>
> I assumed ~/.guile would be evaluated before any script.  Perhaps I am mistaken.
>
>> Try exporting the GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE variable before running your
>> program, or setting it inline in front of your guile command:
>
> Yes, that does work.  Now every time I want to disable autocompile I must:
>
> GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 guile ~/scheme/hello.scm

As I wrote, you can also export the variable:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
export GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

To make it permanent you can define such a line in your ~/.profile or
~/.bash_profile, and logout/login into your session to have it effective.

The Guile reference manual only defines two means to control
auto-compilation:

1. Setting the GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE environment variables (which, being an
environment variable, should be defined as such, as explained above)

2. Using the --no-auto-compile option passed directly to the guile
interpreter.

Let me know if this addresses your issue.

Thank you,

Maxim